Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Cutting corners isn't worth it...

I started a large quilt several years ago when I had my old sewing machine and never finished it. Life happened, and I didn't have the time, space or energy to work on it. Well, I decided to pull it out of the craft storage and work on finishing it. Unfortunately, I noticed some problems with the work I had already done.


When I started the quilt, I hadn't yet realized the importance of pressing seams before sewing them, using thread that wouldn't show through the fabric, and worst of all, the lower quality machine I had been sewing on wouldn't sew at an even tension. When I pulled the quilt bits out today to take a look, I decided there was only one thing to do... I had to rip the seams and start over. Sure, I could just keep on going, but then I'd be unhappy with the end product, which I plan on using on my bed, so I will see all those little imperfections every single day. The photo above is just some of what I'd sewn already that must be ripped out and re-done.

The moral of the story is to do a little research before starting a project, and not to cut corners on things that don't seem very important. You can either end up being best friends with your seam ripper, or start out being better friends with your sewing machine and iron.

No comments:

Post a Comment